Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Let the Hot Flashes Begin

I was not built for extreme heat.  I know this because I near death every time the thermometer exceeds 95 degrees.  I also know that I am a wimp.  

In an effort to toughen up, I have begun researching simple tricks to acclimate myself to the debilitating temperatures that will inevitably mark my first summer in Redding.  What follows are my favorite tips on how to sleep through an extremely hot night.  Good people, I'll have you know that I am not making this up.

The first tip I found was called the "Laurence Method."  It entails kicking the covers off the bed.  Apparently, something so obvious as removing fabric intended to trap warmth as a means of cooling oneself required a label.  Whomever this Laurence is, he's a genius of sorts.  

Second - Position yourself spread-eagle and think cool thoughts.  I'm amazed at the brilliant self-awareness anyone might possess that would allow them to "think cool thoughts" while sinking into REM.  In an effort to toss cynicism aside I will attempt this mind-over-matter method. Right now, for example I am conjuring up images of hiking across a frozen tundra while scantily clad.  I feel no cooler.  

Next up - Sleep naked.  Again, I thought this was rather obvious, but okay, I'll go with it.  My favorite part of this tidbit was the admonishment to refrain from the skivvie-less tact if one lives with roomates or in a dorm.  Priceless.

And then there's the one about wetting your bedding/clothing in an effort to speed up evaporation - nevermind the fact that you'll be twisted in a tangle of hot, moist fabric until you suffocate.

Okay, enough sarcasm - there actually were some tips that seem viable: put a bowl of ice in front of a fan and position the air flow towards your face (I'll probably use this one tonight); freeze a couple of ice packs & place them at your feet & pulse points along your body; run cool water over your wrists a few minutes before bedtime; make a solution of rubbing alcohol, spearmint oil, and water, and spritz it on your face and neck if you start to overheat; use a pillow that retains less heat - buckwheat, for example, and go to bed with wet hair.

I'll keep you posted on my progress!

3 comments:

Ingrid Harper said...

Another problem with sleeping naked is: what if an emergency happens? Would you really want to run out of a burning house in the nude?
But the ice and fan thing is really interesting. I live in Texas, so I'll definitely be trying that soon :)

Miu said...

lool this was fun to read! i live in a hot country with high humidity.. let me just tell you one thing, air conditioners are probably our best friend :D whenever i travel to europe, im puzzled on how some accomodations dont have AC's! oh well, something that will always cool me down is a cold fesh lemon and mint juice!! (dont foget to add sugar):)

MS outlook 2010 said...

This Office2010 enables Office 2010 Key you to control the actual improvement at work according to agenda.The utilization of Office2010, it is simple to create towards the this highly effective vision outcomes, can have this a a Microsoft Office 2010 the actual your the design of in addition to use of professional-looking on the this the from the the picture and also the word in addition to the throughout PowerPoint's training video.A Office2010 start a whole world of style and design alternatives for your artistic life-giving.Office2010 much more easy-to-use strategy to communicate a Microsoft Office 2010 Key person's imagination. Office 2010